Monday, September 13, 2010

I really need to try and keep up!

So my dears, are you ready for another school year? The first 4 days have passed and we're on to week two! Things have been good so far, so definitely feel like it's a great start.

As some of you already know, I decided to go back to teaching at the detention home. I do really like teaching that populations of kids. They crave positive attention and the arts. They need it! I feel more like a teacher than I have in a really long time (understand that how you want to). I feel like I really know what kids I work well with and get genuinely excited about it. The dialogue that goes back and forth, their questioning, their spontaneity.

This will be my 4th year teaching in the D-home, and somethings obviously stay the same, but most somethings change. Both positive and negative. I have my complaints, but as each school year goes by I realize what matters most -- the kids.

I have opinionated, conservative, should-be-retired, lazy, sometimes mean, complaining co-workers. But this year I have to ignore it. For the sake of my students, and for the sake of myself. I can only do what I can do. What everyone else does is up to them. I have no say in what they do. It used to frustrate me, but now I teach better because of it.

There is no doubt that there should be attentive, caring, firm, creative, and flexible teachers in that school. One day, I hope that they realize it's an important place that change can happen (albeit very very small and difficult ones).

This year I hope that I can keep it up. My schedule is pretty demanding. The first half of my entire day is teaching 5 straight classes and the afternoon is for prep. It wouldn't be so bad, except I don't have my own classroom. I can't really do anything but use the computer as silently as possible. Can't print, can cut, can't make demos. It's a little frustrating. It will be tough to keep up, but I think last year (at the elementary schools) I learned to be really efficient and plan! I will take 5 different classes over several of each grade level any day. I'm glad that I get to see students 5 days a week, even though there is a lot of turnover.

So I am keeping up, for now.

Check back in a month-- it may be different. I hope to post some artwork soon, we have made small animal pictures, and now we're working on mythical creatures! I can't wait to see how they turn out (hopefully there will be some students that are here long enough to finish).

Never the less, I wish I didn't really have this job. The amount of kids that come into the D-home is at least 500 kids a year (some of them frequent flyers). I constantly tell them I want them to put me out of a job! - They laugh, but I don't.

So, be aware. There will be lots of stories this year.

No comments: