Thursday, June 19, 2008

Almost done

My grades are done, the week is almost done, we're almost done.

This week has been a little different. I wasn't giving an exam, so I didn't have class. But I still had a world of other things to accomplish. Like:

taking down everything off of the walls
organizing which art work belonged to which kid (no names are a real pain..how hard is it to put your own name on something...totally a different subject all together)
carefully placing all claimed artwork into their personal properties at intake
finding some kind of closure with the kids without holding classes
re-organizing the art supply closet (yes I was happy to get a room this year, but I didn't have anytime to organize it)
cleaning
cleaning
cleaning
completing transfer summaries
and a world of paperwork....

It's ok. It's mostly happy times at the end of the year, even in here. The kids feel like it's the end. They're happy they've made it through something, and "finished" something. It's a sense of something "normal" in their lives. And for us too. Some of these kids will still be here when we return in a month, but there will be a bunch of new kids too. (not really wanting to think about that right now)

What I really like about the end of the year here, is that I get to give kids all their artwork back. Some of them actually forget what they've done, and how far they've grown (if they've been here a while). Some kids don't want to have anything to do with their artwork-- which is normal in this climate too. But, I find that a lot of them want it, but don't want to show their pride. So I have to kind of coax into taking their artwork. After that, they usually have this innocent smile, and their eyes beam with some happiness. I want them to know how proud I am. And how glad I am to have them as a student. It's important for both of us.

So anyway, one more week (I suppose). I'm not sure if I get some days to "work at home". I'm hoping for that.... but I'm not sure.

Right now, I want to make some late summer plans.

I want to make it to the beach
I want to see some friends
I want to feel like I've been on vacation..
I really don't want to make the mistake of not doing anything, and regret not doing anything....

Hummm....... We'll see what happens. I'm low-budget, so who knows where I can go for a minimum price. I'm thinking very local. Very... no flights, no grand car rides (I think I could limit myself to 8 hours), and cheap accommodations.....if that's even possible. Who knows, though, last minute deals can be had!

No comments: