Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Breeders!

I never thought I would go see The Breeders! But I did! And they were AWESOME! I loved it. They were fantastic. It was a fun, exciting, loud, rocking, guitar playing, bass drum beating, smash out, good time. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them, the lead singers have interesting, yet sometimes hard to listen to voices. It takes some getting used to. They have sort of this sharp alto voices that are loud and very throaty. Not my favorite kind of singing, because it can come off in a live show as shouting. But NO! They actually sang. And it was loud, and throaty, and all of that.. But it was good. They totally rocked. They did some new songs, old songs, covered songs. It was fantastic, and had it been a weekend I probably would have danced around at bit more. However, being a school night, and recovering from my illness(es) I thought head bobbing and a touch of hip-shaking was just fine.

I didn't think I would be too impressed with them, but I love it when women totally own the stage, and are a bit aggressive. They were also funny, and joking, and having a good time. There was a bit of audience participation, and one of the sisters even managed to get into the crowd to film the rest of the band! Who does that??? You can really tell they love what they do, and they are talented musicians. I can't believe how their hands just went over the guitar as if it was nothing. It was amazing. I'm so glad I saw them.

I even liked the opening band. Although it took a little while for "The Montana Boys" to grow on me. I don't know what kind of sound they're looking for. Or if they care. They seem to try and do a little bit of everything. At first I thought they were channeling a little bit of "Clap your hands, say yeah" , but then it turned into some kind of typical college band, and then they got all bluesy, and folksy, dancy. It was interesting. Better than most opening bands I see.

So what's next??? I don't know. No shows on the immediate horizon that I'm dying to see. I may try to venture out to listen to "Tilly and the Wall". It's only $13. I can enjoy a night of tap-dancing percussion and dance along right with them.... It would at the very least, be interesting to watch. Plus, they're from Nebraska!

OK- time to go put in some teaching time. Only about a week to go with students.....

For your entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5MWCwFhCI

and for historical content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4


Because as you know, there are a few bands that emerged from the Pixies.....including the Breeders.

No comments: