Wednesday, February 11, 2009

So close--

We were 25 minutes away from a normal school schedule last week, and I'll shoot myself, because the English teacher I mentioned on Thursday at lunch how the week had been going so well. No interruptions, no meetings, no random lock downs.

Well, I spoke to soon. I will never do that again. Friday, 25 minutes from finishing the last class of the day, students were sent back to their units. We were all wondering why. Well, the superintendent of the d-home felt like she needed to have a meeting with her staff.

Couldn't it have waited 25 minutes? I mean come on. Positive change and education, have no chance when people like that create an environment where those things aren't regarded. I understand that safety comes first in a place like this, but how are we supposed to create any sort of consistency when inconsistency is so -- well-- consistent.

This week is no better. 2 half days for "parent conferences". It's been on the calendar for a year, and no one brought it up until yesterday. No parents could have a chance to show up today or tomorrow. I understand that our students are transient, and we sometimes don't know who's going to be here on any given day. However, we could MOVE the dates, or give ourselves a chance to notify the parents, so they have a chance to come or not.

ARGH!

So this week isn't normal either. And next week is a short week because of Presidents' Day. I like my holidays, don't get me wrong-- I love them, I value them... I need them.

Maybe we'll have our chance in March-- no holidays whatsoever...

And don't even get me started about how students aren't able to complete projects. Maybe not frustrating for them, but totally frustrating for me.

I need a zen moment.........

-----Aum shaantih----------------

No comments: