Friday, September 18, 2009

Do you ever get the urge?

I'm talking about purchasing music on itunes. It's so easy, and once I get on I can't stop myself. This week I had the urge to purchase folk music. I know what you may be thinking... What is she freaking doing? Well, I happen to really like folk music. I was probably the only kid in any school I went to who knew who The Kingston Trio was. Ahh, parental influence. I listened to my parents' music (Motown, 60's, folk, Helen reddy, beach boys, rolling stones, Marvin Gaye, Tina and Ike, and more...) until i broke free in the mid-eighties. There I dove into new wave, pop music, the cure (oh I heart them so), Brit pop, Debbie Gibson. One of the first songs I remember really loving was -Eye of the Tiger - . It was voted the best song in second grade.

I do love music. I love it all. The good, the bad, the embarrassing, the loud, the teenie bopper... all of it.

So with the passing of Mary (of peter, paul and mary), I felt the need to re-claim the original songs that introduced me to music. Folk is great. it's heartfelt, soft, feeling, emotional,universal, and fun. So yah, I bought "Puff the Magic Dragon", "Big Yellow Taxi", and one of my all time favorites ,"Kodachrome". I plan on enjoying a little peace and love, and making it a low-fi weekend.

Here's to satisfying the urge fo folk music.... may it reign forever.

Here's to the musical parents I have, I'm so happy that music has been and always will be such a part of my life.

"The times, they are a changing."

No comments: