Thursday, January 19, 2012

Personality Types

I've taken a Myers Briggs test.  You know what they are?  It's a personality test that bases the findings on answering a battery of questions.  The particular test I took had about 70 questions, and I was only allowed to answer "yes" or "no".  I can't remember taking the test before this time, but I'm sure I've probably taken it in a psychology class or something. 

My personality type is INFJ.  Which means Introvert/Intuitive/Feeler/Judger.  What the heck does that mean?  Well, it means a lot, now, because I think it really does describe me.   The description that I read said that only about 2% of the people who take this test get this type.  I don't know how I should really feel about that.  Does that make me even more strange?  Maybe just a tad.

It was really interesting to read the description.  While I find it to be a little bit like a horoscope, there was a lot of truth in it.  I have read a number of other descriptions and this one really does seem to fit me.  The test did reinforce some of the things I already knew about myself, but also provided a little bit of insight to why I may react in certain kinds of situations or how I behave with people.

While I do see myself as an empathetic and intuitive person, I'm not quite sure I understand the paragraph about my supposed psychic abilities.  The last part of the description mentioned that I have the ability to understand psychic phenomena and have visions....like ESP.  Hummmm....

Yes, that would make me different, wouldn't it. 

Anyway, if you're interested in how you would score on Carl Jung's (he was said to be an INFJ too) test...try it out! You  might find out something new about yourself, and that in turn could possibly open up new understandings or possibilities for you.  The internet as tons of tests, so you have to choose wisely.  It took me forever to find an appropriate test, and no, I didn't pay for it.  I'm going to give it to my students tomorrow.  I think they'll find it interesting.  After all, they're teenagers, all they do is think about themselves!  ;-)

No comments: