Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Elevation is elevating

We're back from the west. Colorado was as I remembered it, except, Denver has this really awesome contemporary addition to their art museum. Last time I visited, they had plans drawn up, and I think there was even a little construction going on, and now it's this massive silver building that takes over the entire area. It's pretty great though. They have a lot of temporary exhibits, and a few permanent ones.

I was able to take pictures of some of the permanent exhibits, and I'll post them later.

We also ate some nice meals. Particularly, at this great Italian place down off of 16th street. The meal was very good. I had a pasta stuffed with squash in a butter sage sauce...yum. But I have to say the salad I had ordered for a starter was the best salad I ever had. I'm not sure if I could re-create it or not. A baby salad of pears, walnuts, goat cheese, drizzled with a balsamic and honey glaze. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

The only problem with this high-end restaurant was their wine prices. They called themselves a wine bar too, which I guess gave them license to jack up their wine prices. It just seemed way out of price for all the glasses they were serving. Oh well, the meal made it all worth it.

The next couple of days we spent with my friend from high school... Karin. We drove down to see her and had a nice but way to short visit. There were beautiful vistas, and a visit to the majestic Broadmoor Hotel. I will try to explain to you just how beautiful it is.

The hotel was built in 1917. It's beautifully decorated, the grounds are amazing. The people are so friendly you wonder how someone can constantly smile like that all day long without going insane. Which makes me wonder.... if you work at this complex for too long, might you go insane (a la Jack Nicholson in "The Shining") ?

There's something about the Broadmoor that exudes elegance, charm, and the feeling that you might actually be a part of some aristocratic family.

So we sat in the bar, where we relaxed in beautiful leather chairs, sipping our beverages, letting the altitude have it's way with our consciousness. Soaked in the scenery of the mountains behind us, and had some delicious snacks...and possibly the best nuts you've ever tasted.

We watched the bear-like squirrels search for food, birds fly in and out, and swans (white and black) find their way around the little lake. Probably one of the most serene places I've ever been where there are so many people moving about. J and I walked around the lake took some pictures and went back in as soon as the chill got to us for a delicious hot chocolate.

We also went to the Garden of the Gods. A really interesting area that jets out into the foothills near the city of Colorado Springs. The red and yellow tones of the rock, the sharp shapes that drastically change from each angle. Just beautiful the way the light played of the rocks.... -sigh-

The elevation didn't play too much into our daily routine, I think we both suffered from a slight headache on the first day, but we tried to keep up our liquids (all kinds of liquids). I kind of long for the day that I can actually get into some real elevation. For some reason these high desert cities are places that I connect with. I really miss being out there, but I know that I couldn't live in those areas. I'm definitely an east coast girl and really love where I am at the moment, but I always long for it, I always want to be there, and when I am there -- it's almost like coming home.

1 comment:

STEPHANIE said...

sounds like you had a great trip!
peace,