Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hair today, gone today

So, some of you might remember a little protest I started over 4 years ago... I called it "My silent protest against Bush". Well, I said I would grow out my hair until we got a new president. And seeing how yesterday that was accomplished, I figured I should really follow through. SO-- I am. At 3:45 pm today I will be getting my hair chopped. I plan on donating it to "Locks for Love". A program that uses real human hair to create wigs for children who need them. I have plenty of hair. I will probably be taking off a whole foot, so I think they'll actually be able to use it.

I'm really excited for the change. My hair has been though some really bad stages, and it's finally time to really start fresh. I've always thought of hair as just something on the top of my head. I can do whatever I want with it. So I'm not really that nervous. I've gotten used to it, but I also hate laying on it, putting it up into ponytails all the time because I don't feel like doing anything with it, using tons and tons of hair conditioner, spending oodles of time brushing and combing it. Ahh-- I'll have so much more time on my hands now...

I always hear people talk about how they felt that their hair was something more symbolic, and I guess that's why I grew it. I wanted something good to come from me growing out my hair for 4 years, because everyone knows what a treacherous 8 it's been!

So here's to moving on, starting fresh. I have a good feeling about this, and I'm not just talking about my haircut.... I'm talking about the US.

No comments: