Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Certainly has been a while...

I'm behind in everything lately. It doesn't matter. I think that's the fact of waiting for Spring Break to come around. At work I'm trying to tie up a lot of loose ends, hang artwork, take pictures, make signs, trying to figure out what I'm going to teach for the rest of the year... It's a lot. But I do have pictures to post of that art show my kids had last week.

It was a really good way for the community to see my students' work. I got some good feedback, and a lot of people hadn't expected anything like what they saw. There were some really good examples of portraits, design projects, and black and white drawings. I think a lot of people tend to still look at art as crafty... not fine. And there is a place for everything. I think when people hear where I work, they automatically lower their expectations of my students. Which sucks, but it's also my job to keep the expectations high!

It's hard. My lessons are so varied, depending on who's in my class at the time. A lot of times students come to me from no art background at all.... (I think I had art in 3rd grade). So it's a mixed bag. I love it when a project just takes off, though. It's so rewarding. And rare.... Right now, one of my classes is really enjoying the color and design projects I'm throwing at them. But that will get changed soon.

Next we're working on observational drawing, with using tone and shading. I'm trying to prepare them for painting. We've been asked to create an art piece for outside near and around the green house they just put on our facility. It's great, gives them a chance to make some art that will be up for an extended period of time. It won't be easy to assemble, but the plan is to paint flowers, herbs, veggies, and other things that will be growing in the green house.

We'll see. I hope it works.

I'm also incredibly behind on making any new artwork for myself. It seems to be a constant problem that I can't figure out how to tackle. I miss not creating art, I need to make it a habit. Stop talking about it, or wishing it would just happen and just DO IT! Argh!!

In other news, I'm going to try to be growing a vegetable garden in our yard. We cleared an area where there's lots of light, some shade an easy access to the hose (not hard, our yard is not big). I'm hoping that throughout the summer we'll get tomatoes, peppers, chile, sunflowers, marigolds, lettuce, squash, and basil! I've also planted my two herb plants from last year-- rosemary and thyme. I hope they can thrive.

Nothing is planted yet, and I'm trying to start with seeds... We'll see what happens. I hear it can be difficult, but I'm checking on them everyday to make sure they stay moist. Hopefully in about 10 days I'll have little plants, and hopefully in another 10 days it will be warm enough to plant them!

Wow, so that's an update.

We managed to book a hotel in Venice! So excited that our Italy trip is happening...... it may be the last one for a while considering all the financial issues. International School teaching is calling my name again....

No comments: