Saturday, February 26, 2011

A word on professional development

I love teaching, I wouldn't really want any other kind of career that let me work directly with people and expose them to my love for art.  I'm coming to a crossroads though.  I feel like I need to find a new direction for my teaching.  I've been working mostly with at risk students most of my teaching career.  Students from mostly low-socioeconomic backgrounds and caste aside.  Most of the kids are low in several skill sets (including social skills). 

I currently teach in a lock down facility.  This is my 4th year there, and I love the students I teach.  They're a big challenge.  And I love challenges.  I feel like I offer them the best I can at the moment.  But I feel like I'm leaving out huge components for them.  Most of them are transient, many of them are in and out of the school.  Some students I've known all 4 years, off and on.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do to better my teaching.  I've checked into the basic programs I'm interested in, such as MFA in Painting, MA in Art therapy, and recently Certificate in IB programs.  Clearly the most time consuming one is the MA in Art Therapy.  Next.... MFA, and least IB.

When I factor in the cost and time of each of those programs, the IB certificate is the most attainable.   However, I'm not sure if it's the one that would most benefit my students.  I don't know, it might be just right.  However, this week, I became suddenly worried about my career.  My principal met with me to talk about the possibility of me getting my Art Therapy License.  I told him that it would take 3 years of work, and be very costly.  He said maybe there was something we could do about that.  But now I'm wondering if I should be worried.  It is completely appropriate for an art therapist to be in my current position, and I'm wondering if my job is dependent on my professional development choice.

I'm frustrated by the way my school district handles professional development.  All school districts are cutting back, and now to be reimbursed is a first come first serve until the money runs out.  And of course there is a cap on what you can ask for.  In this area, a three credit, in-state, graduate course is $3000.  Our school district will pay 1/2 of that per semester.  It's actually quite ridiculous.  How am I supposed to get the professional development I want...and actually need?

Yes, I do feel that teachers should be as current as possible in practice and curriculum, but it's up to the districts to really aid in the process.  I feel like my only choice is to participate in meaningless free professional development offered by my district, which in reality offers me nothing that relates to my students or my area of teaching.

So, I'm frustrated.  I want pursue something, anything, but am not sure what I should do.  Maybe this is the time to talk to my principal, and see how he can work with me.  I think he would tell me if my job was actually in jeopardy.  So I'm suspecting I'm pretty safe for the next school year, at least.

1 comment:

Jona said...

That is definitely a frustrating predicament, Kate. I feel for you. I think it's quite sad that you have to fight for the money to participate in professional development, which will only help your students. You teach because you love to teach kids, bottom line. I think the profession loses out on a great many teachers because of the obstacles put in their way. And I think it's all too easy for our government, both at a national and state level, to cut funding for valuable programs which benefit kids. Unfortunately, I think that will only change when policy-makers start realizing the importance and priority of education and start putting money where it counts most. Until then, I really hope you can sort out the best option for you. One that suits your future job security, your interest level, and most importantly, the kids that you teach.