Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It's a beautiful evening in the neighborhood

Wow, I am actually sitting outside this evening.  Having a lovely glass of wine, smelling the scents of the yard.... grass, honeysuckle, cool air.  It's a perfect night for a Wednesday, and I'm not going in until it's dark.

I haven't been able to experience these peaceful nights so much lately.  Time just seems to fly by that I forget to listen, or get into some form of bad habit. I like watching tv, it's a welcome escape most evenings.  Or I'm off to a yoga class, or even rushing to prepare dinner, or thinking about art class the next day.

I value these evenings when even the noise of the distant traffic seems kind of calming.

I see all sorts of greens that range from almost yellow to a deep forest green.  So many things that I just pass by on any given day.  I really don't want to go in.

The breeze feels good and even though it was quite warm for a May day, it's settled into the 70's.  Just right.  I see the fading sunlight casting on the tree in my back yard.  The yellow is fading, and the light is dispersing.  It will be dark soon.  And, I'll go in.

I hear the noises of my neighbors working in their yards.  Machinery.  Trimming, edging, taking care of their own yard.  Isn't that something?  The "American Dream".  Have a yard, take care of it.  The thing is, even that machine sound isn't bothering me at this moment.

The birds are still calling out, and I hear a variance of tweeting.  They don't sound like cell phones, although I hear how many types of birds who live in urban areas are changing their tones, just as we change our cellphone rings.  They still sound like birds to me, and certainly much more pleasant than a phone ring.

This area is still bustling when I think everyone should be at home eating a meal, catching up on the day, or going for a stroll.  I dream about finding a place where all I hear are the sounds that nature makes again.  When I lived in New Mexico, I was fortunate to live close to the mountains for a year or so.  My apartment complex was away from the main road and overlooked the valley of Albuquerque.  I took advantage of the nearby trails and the quieter roads.  You could still hear and see the main road, but the nature is what was present.  Howling coyotes, chirping birds, wind.  I miss that.

For now I'll just have to enjoy the sounds of my own back yard.  Appreciating the careful breeze as it moves the wisps of hair around my head.  It's good to notice, it's good to witness, it's good to just be where you are and nowhere else.

2 comments:

Jona said...

It IS good to be where you are and nowhere else when it's a place you want to be. That was a refreshing post. Makes me crave home. Miss you.

R. said...

You should read Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach, I think you might enjoy it.