Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sketchbook Project 2012

Finally, you can now go see or visit my sketchbook on line, or on tour with the other 6000 journals/sketchbooks.  The theme of my sketchbook is "Transatlantic" but I titled it "Space and Time".  My book is divided into 5 sections.  The world, South Africa, Clarion, New Mexico, Now.  It's a journey that focuses on the path that we follow, how it ebbs and flows, and hopefully some how gets me to this being stage.   The stages of the moon are there to represent the passage of time, there is always some kind of path, and then layers of collaged papers, and drawing. Objects in the pages contain numbers in some form.  They're pretty obvious in the Clarion one.  The number relates to the age I was when I was living there at the time.  So if you start with the world, I am at 0.

Each section has it's own frame of reference and symbols.

The world:  Age- 0,  8 pages (including front and back cover)  countries, airports, continents, chakras
South Africa: Age - 9,  6 pages  flag, geometric lines and shapes
Clarion:  Age - 18 2 pages river, trees
New Mexico:  Age 27, 4 pages, Mountains, dots, desert, river
Present: Age 36, 16 pages, Buddha, sun, trees, Om, many paths, windows, the void

There's other stuff too, but those are the main ideas that pop out at me.  I'm going to show it to my students today, hopefully they won't think that I'm crazy.  I am considering doing paintings like these, but I'm not sure yet.  I need some sort of summer project, though, and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

Enjoy:

Transatlantic- Time and Space

No comments: