Sunday, May 06, 2012

Posting is happening...in my mind

So, I've been away from this blog for quite some time now.  It's been a very busy year.  Most of my "free" time has been taken up by yoga training, which has been so fulfilling on so many levels.    All of a sudden it seems as if the months have just flown by.  I guess that's how it feels when you're so busy.  But seriously, where does the time go?

I just finished teaching my first officially planned glass to my teacher training group yesterday.  I have to say it went pretty well.  I spent many hours planning, prepping, and practicing for the day. We worked in a group to create a 1 hour 15 minute class that focused on the hara.  The hara is a term used to describe the belly, the third chakra, the solar plexus, celiac plexus...whatever term you want to use.  So I researched the different ways it's talked about across psychological, energetic, and physical terms.   It is MULTI-disciplinary yoga teacher training, after all.

My main task was to open the class, get people warmed up, welcome them, open the space, and settle them in.  I was nervous being up in front of these beautiful people, but I totally felt the support behind their eyes as they looked on.  I even had the courage to use the singing bowl (LOVE IT, by the way, gotta get one of my own).  We went through a series of breath work, and a little bit of core work and we finally ended in Tadasana (mountain pose).  And that's where one of my partners picked up.

My partners and I are very much alike in the fact that we're creative people, quiet people.  So our main yogi-mentor dubbed us "the quiet storm".  We nearly died laughing.  But it was true.  This practice was all about the core work, and we were strong, yet caring and careful about our practice.  (especially since people had just come from lunch).  People noted that our voices were pleasant (maybe a little too soft at times).  But all in all a great practice where they felt cared for and relaxed....

It was interesting to hear the feed back, of course it was mostly positive, we are yogis!  There are things I need to work on.  I felt my energy level drop off towards the end.  It's really important to keep it up!  I think with more practice I'll be able to keep it going.

I did learn that I can teach yoga, it's just like teaching art.  I've been teaching art for almost 12 years now, and yoga only really about 5 times in my entire life.   It all comes back to the brain, learning things everyday is good for us.  It keeps us healthy, it keeps the mind fresh, it keeps us from being kept in one spot.  We grow.

Today we go back so the second half of the class can also teach.  So looking forward to what my yogi friends do.

P.S.  This was also a really sad week for me.  One of my all time favorite musicians died on Friday.  MCA, Adam Yauch, this band was really a part of my life, and also my way into looking in Tibetan Buddhism and the Free Tibet campaign.  Of course, I never met him personally, I can say that him and the Beastie Boys have a profound effect on my life, my music choices, and how I view the world...  Thanks MCA, RIP.  Check out MCA skills in this video

No comments: