Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I need a sous chef

I love to cook, however, I think I washed all the items in my kitchen at least 5 times. So maybe I don't need a sous chef, just a huge kitchen that comes with dishwashers. And lots of chopping machines. Everything I made today required the use of my handy little food processor. I loved it! I just wish I had 5!

I wanted to make a good meal for tomorrow. I think the food will be great. And I also made my own mix for margaritas... YUM! I guess I'm from the type of school that thinks," If you're going to cook... then you better cook!" And I do, I just haven't cooked for friends in a while. So I hope everything comes out well. I've prepared a lot tonight. If no one comes, well, then I guess the next day I'm driving up to my parents house and they can eat it.

So, it's been a while since I've written, and I've been busy. I guess I'm still digesting the stuff I did last week. I helped a friend plan an experiential ed program for her school. I'm jealous that she gets to use it. It will be her own program. I'm really proud of her for that. I just wish I could be in a school situation that I could actually use the things that we worked on. I guess some of it will transfer over to my interesting population. We'll see. It opened my eyes to actually how different and still sheltered her area of the world is from big city problems. She's dealing with problems in her school that happen before they get too big. Which is excellent. She's creating a school climate the fosters individuality but examines decision-making. If only all schools would allow their teachers that kind of freedom to create something bold and exciting.

That's not going to happen at my school. Even though, my students are the ones that need it the most. Granted, some of them are so far gone by 16, nothing will bring them around. They have no support, and there's not many places the kids can go to get the chance to change. It's sad, really.

At least now I can probably focus more on the task at hand next year, which is provide a quality and thoughtful art program that helps students to examine their own individuality and expressiveness through the arts. I mean that's my goal anywhere, but I really have to try to make it happen there next year. And I know for sure that I won't have "Sybil" breathing down my neck preventing me from doing good work.....and I won't be living with a crazy woman with her adopted child, and I won't be commuting 4 hours a day or sleeping on some one's floor.

Yes, it will be different. It already is. It's July 3rd. I have exactly a month to keep the good vibes going!

No comments: