Wednesday, January 16, 2008

There's a hold on your records because of the monks



Where to begin with this one. Back in 2003 (I think it was) I moved from Albuquerque to Alexandria. I was required to take a class to keep my teaching position (yeah, an art teacher is required to take a health class). So I took it (fortunately with my friends Amy and Ruth), and I was able to get 3 graduate credits. Well, in Virginia, a teacher also needs 180 points to maintain their professional license. And 3 credits is worth a 1/3 of that.

So, cut to now, where I finally need to update my certification. I have tons of points (I got points for being overseas, teaching in a summer program, and tons of other workshops). However, I need a transcript proving I took this"Family Life" course. I remember that George Mason University was who gave us credit. Fortunately, I knew I could just get it off line. No big deal.

WRONG!!!!! I open my account, and it says," You have a hold. To find out what the hold is press this button." So I press the button and it says that I have a library fee of $115, in Fairfax. Yes, I do go to the library, however, I've never set foot on the GMU campus in my life! How is this possible. So I call the library. They say yes, there is something under my name. But it was returned, and there are still late fees on it. I tell them this is impossible. What are the dates? June 2004!!! What?

I was getting ready to leave the country June 2004. But the librarian says," It looks like you returned it..oh...two years later. July 2006." Again, I say," There must be some mistake, what is the title of the book?" He says," It's Gregorian Chants." What?
He says there's nothing he can do because it's actually an inter library loan from Catholic American University in DC. What? I've never even been there! So this librarian guy, is actually being nice and helpful... gives me the number to the library.

I call CAU and she says that she needs to transfer me to the Music Library. I get transferred. Another woman picks up the phone. She hears my abbreviated story. She looks up my name. Turns out there is another person with my exact same name. Even the middle initial. So someone must have not really paid attention. The strangest thing is. I don't really understand how I am in their system at all, having never been there. But whatever. She was helpful too, and said she'd fix it right away and said that she'll just take it off my record.

So to end this long story. I'm hoping that it really isn't identity theft, and it really was a mistake. Hopefully I can get the darn transcript and be done with that University forever. Although, I won't be, because J works for them........and the saga will continue.

So, my friends...beware of the Library Shakedown!

1 comment:

Jona said...

What a crazy freakin' coincidence! That is truly nuts. Good thing you got it all sorted and they believed you. I certainly wouldn't have. : )