Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Art

The summer is going away faster than I imagined.  I've been trying to find time to do some art, but have had very little success on creating new images.  I have a bunch of ideas, but can't seem to get very far on the implementation of them.  I WILL! I vow it.  BUT-- I did kind of come up with a way to re-use some of my art.  And re-use some of my old dreary clothing.  TRANSFERS!

Remember when you'd go to the beach, you'd pick out one of those hundreds of designs to get your very own souvenir tee-shirt.  Well, I'm doing it with my art.  I actually like how these came out.  I have another that I made for my husband too, but I forgot to take a picture.  I think I've stumbled on a little way I can use my creative juices for a quick, successful creative process.

I'm no stranger to printmaking, either, so I really like using previous images over and over again.  So here they are.

This is from an old painting I did in graduate school.  I cut out the part that I wanted to be on the shirt.  

The one on the left is actually a multi media collage I did with some old word-a-day calendars.  It was fun to make, but I also decided to cut out certain parts and apply them to the shirt.

The blue one has a parts of a painting I did before I graduated from college.  I printed the whole picture and then cut out some positive and negative shapes.  I like the organic, rounded shapes.  And you can still see a lot of the texture of the painting, which looks already worn on the shirt.

What do you need for this?  Old clothing, ink jet printer,  iron on transfer paper, and an iron, and some original art work (or even photos).

I am working on a series of yoga-sinpsired art.  This is one of the first ones.  I used my old typewriter  for all the text.   Then I cut up the text and collaged it all together, and then overlapped yoga drawings (in seated-meditative positions) on top.  Painted it.  I'm still not done with the painting, but I liked how it looked already, so decided to give the transfer idea a try with something that was still in the stages of being done.

You can really see the texture here, and the holes in my shirt at the bottom...it's retro, right?

So we'll see how these guys wash and wear.  A couple of days from now the iron-ons might fall off, who knows????  I did by the cheap ones.  I plan on buying the better quality ones next time.  And hopefully I'll use some different artwork.

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer.  I have had a good one, it just goes so fast.  I'm off to NYC for some much needed inspiration and then I'll be back.  Hopefully in the next week and 1/2 I'll have some new small pieces to post.  I can't wait to show you what I'm planning!

2 comments:

Aloha Buffington said...

Yoga meets Matisse. Simple and beautiful

Jona said...

Love this stuff. Can I send you some of my old shirts? :)

I think you could have a future in setting up a yoga studio and selling some of these printed t's...