Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Everything is relatives

Yea, it's that one time a year where my family regroups at the assisted living space where my grandma lives. Everyone comes out of the woodwork to see and catch up on everything family.

It's ok. I mean, it's something you feel compelled to do, because it's the very least you can do. The only problem is, I'm the only one representing my sisters every year. And it get's darn hard to turn on the smiles and say things like," They're doing great, they ran out of vacation leave (or insert another excuse)."

It's interesting to see the family dynamics. Who sits with who. Who doesn't sit with who. Who makes the rounds to everyone. Then there are the words that are exchanged. Yes, my grandmother is extremely traditional when it comes to family. She kind of lets you know who's in the blood line and who's not. This year was no exception," Bless those who are related by blood, and those who have chosen us." I guess I made the cut, because I'm in the blood line. If you're married to one of us...well, sorry for you.

I look up to see who caught wind of that one. And I look over at my cousin, who brought his girlfriend, and I'm thinking...she's a brave one to even set foot in this place. Not only because almost every family member is here, but because she's now "chosen" us. GO-- run for the door.

As if that weren't enough, I got the usual questions: How do you like your job? When are you moving again? Do you have a boyfriend? Where are you going to next? How's commuting? Are you sure you want to move again? or...if you're sitting next to a "chosen" member of the family... it's more like: Is your work doing anything for you? Are you taking it day by day? How's life?

At any rate, we're all family. You can't change that one bit. I had several offers to live in their homes, find a new job. All very nice ideas. I guess that's one think I do like about family. They do look out for you. They want your life to be alright too.

No comments: