Sunday, December 31, 2006

Goodbye 2006

Well, it's been a heck of a year. I started it out by returning to Egypt to complete my last school year in Cairo. I saw Egypt win the African Cup, relaxed on a few well-deserved beach vacations on the Red Sea (Italians included), saw an eclipse, traveled to a distant oasis town called Siwa near the Libyan border, traveled back to the US to try to land a teaching job, experienced sand storms, crazy taxi rides, sold 2 paintings, a beautiful dinner in the desert near the Giza pyramids (in a custom made dress), paid off Egyptian airport workers to load my luggage, layover in Vienna, caught up on Lost, taught summer school, lived with a crazy woman who kept food in her fridge from 2001 ($1200 a month thank you very much), visted Seattle (for a day - sniff-), went to Alaska - the last frontier, began teaching at a juvenile detention center (at least it's an art position), almost moved into my own apartment, but decided to save money and move back home, visited Kansas City (who knew I'd like it?), commuted, stayed at friends houses, ran upwards of 5 miles a day (then stopped because commuting takes it out of you), made tons of christmas cookies, joined a second gym (who does that?), and waited for the new year to come.

I'm sure I've missed some other things. But according to the calendar a new year is coming. It could be an interesting one. I will probably move again. Big news there. But I have a few things in mind that might make the year go by at a nice pace. We'll see what happens, you can only live in the present, and deal with what happens on a day to day basis. Who knows what one can do?

I wish everyone a happy and peaceful new year!

No comments: