Thursday, January 25, 2007

addicted to coughing

Admit it, there is something good about coughing, you're getting something out of your system. And for a brief moment you may not even be breathing, but it's kind of euphoric. You have a sharp pain in your ribcage, but once it's released it feels kind of good. It seems sad that I think that coughing, and on the verge of having bronchitis might be fun. But today I think it was kind of helpful. Students responded to me better when they realized that I was wheezing. They were helpful and considerate. I'm no dumby! Come to school sick and you'll be taken care of. People will ask you how you are, offer you advice and often feel bad for you. It's a Pavlov thing, conditioning and all. I guess I must look pretty sick too.. Which isn't so nice, but oh well. Nothing I can do about that at this point. All I can hope for is some decent sleep.

And just like any day, it will be unpredictable tomorrow. No classes....again, I'm getting sick of this, actually. Just when I think I'm getting on a roll, we get a broomstick jammed into our bicycle wheel and go over our handle bars. I hate the unpredictability of working where I do, but I enjoy the teaching I'm doing. The students I'm working with as well. It's so unfortunate that this school program has a leader that doesn't want to lead, but dictate. There is no real reason for us not to have classes tomorrow, and she might actually think she's doing us a favor. In all actuality, she's not. It's putting us all behind, and giving us a bad reputation.

Like anything else, I need to roll with it. That's the theme of this year, my friends. I have finally learned to roll with it. I guess that's what I learned from my experience in Egypt. You just have to let life take it's course. You'll get derailed, and there will be an extreme amount of imbalance in most cases, but go with it. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it all this time.

So, yes, I'm on drugs right now, and I may seem a little flighty with this post, but it's all good. I will have only a few more days of this coughing binge and it will be back to normal, unless bronchitis rears it's ugly head, in which case I will curse this post.

Tomorrow's Friday, and for those of you that Friday actually means something -- I hope you enjoy it! Because we made it through another grueling week.

No comments: