Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yikes

This week has not been the best week of teaching for me. It all started on Monday. The d-home staff have specific shifts they follow. And this week school happened to start with the relief shift. Not such a good idea, when two men who are older and bigger than you are actually scared of the students. HA. Yes, so scared that they don't enforce any rules, and if a kids breaks a rule, they write them up, and don't even tell them about it. Needless to say, that's not how it's supposed to work. The kids were trying to deal with the d-home staff, just like the rest of us to try to to make it through the day, however there had been more outbursts, breakdowns, cool outs, toss outs, lock downs, lecturing, and words shouted more in the last two days then the whole year.

It all has to do with consistency, respect...and NOT trying to be the kid's friend. They don't need friends, they need adults to give them specific instructions and stick to what is expected. NOTHING LESS! When you have adults yelling down the hall, or talking to kids in line, or telling them inappropriate things, of course our students think it is an acceptable behavior to do it too!

I could go on and on, but I won't. The week is almost over, and despite a student almost burning down my classroom (a student decided to turn on the burners of the stove in my room), we are all still alive and I'm still keepin' on....

Spring break is a couple days away and I plan on sleeping. But today I have an all district art meeting in MY art room, so I have to get ready for that. In addition to that I've bee busy all week too. I can't catch a break.

Yesterday, J and I went out with one of his students (and wife), and while that was very interesting (both are from Saudi Arabia and the husband works for the State Department), I was so tired. I couldn't fully participate in enjoying myself. Ugh.... maybe next time, they were quite a nice couple. Not a traditional Saudi family, definitely more western and liberal... the wife really wants Obama to win..... However, watching them as a couple was interesting, and since I was doing a lot of listening and observing, I watched how they treated each other. He was definitely formal and aware of his wife's needs and wants while we're eating. Very properly, traditional etiquette really... But his wife and I did get into a discussion about teaching. She wanted to come and see where I work. She honestly has to get his approval for it. I was kind of amazed, because she kind of acted like a child saying," Please, oh please, can I go....please?" I told her the door was always open, but I think the husband was more like, halas, mesh. (end, no)

Oops, gotta run...a meeting... I have 2 today!

1 comment:

Jona said...

Hang in there! Spring Break is right around the corner! I know what you mean about busy. My mom comes in tonight and it's been insane at work! I'll catch up on our blog later, but thinking of you and love you!!!