Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Notes on a "sleep study"

This illustration is funny.

These are just words I jotted down from last night. I went into a sleep center at about 8:30 last night and came out of the sleep center at 5:30 this morning. I've never done anything like this before, and it took me a long time to finally get one done.
For those of you who do not know, I've always struggled with getting sleep. I have the stereotypically symptoms-- can't fall asleep and can't stay asleep. But, this last year it's been very very bad. I haven't really had a good sleep in over a year, and before that it went in cycles. I never really did anything about it until this year. And I've tried everything from warm milk, yoga, natural remedies, to medication, eliminating caffeine, and wearing myself out! Nothing has brought back a normal cycle of sleep. So I figured that even though my insomnia is probably anxiety related, there might be something else going on. So with the help of my doctor, she recommended a sleep study, and that it might tell us something.


So- here you go:

-Strange electrodes
-Camera watching me
- TV on (Idol on, Adam sucked, but so did the song)
- Sleeping alone
-Closed door, strange it's not my own
- Sheets unfamiliar, not my scent
-Low buzz from the lights
-Bad landscapes on the wall
- Wish I had brought my pillow
- Is this camping?
-Two books beside my bed
-Teddy is my technician
-Wonder what other channels I get, probably just basic cable
- Not exactly a hotel room, and definitely not my home
- Can I turn out my own light?
-Can I get up to go to the bathroom?
-Thank goodness for a personal day tomorrow
- Maybe 30 electrodes? I lost count
-Did I dream? I can't remember

It was a pretty strange experience. I wasn't really comfortable at all, but I guess I did manage to sleep there for a little time (however, they did have me take my meds.). The worst part was all the electrodes. They had to put them on with some kind of gel, and it was really hard to get out of my hair. I think this is one out of 2 or 3 sleep studies depending on what goes on with the information. I kind of wanted to see what it would be like if I hadn't taken my meds. But I'm almost positive I wouldn't have had one wink of sleep.

One of the funny things about the night was that I could tell someone was in for sleep apnea, because I could hear her snoring in the room right next to me. It was very loud.

The technicians were really nice and friendly. They definitely know what they're doing. They had me do a series of eye moves in the beginning and end of the study. I had to keep my eyes open, blink really fast, move my eyes left and right, and hold my breath. I also had to sleep on my back, which I hated. I always sleep on my side or even the front.

J dropped me off and picked me up, and we both immediately tried to go back to sleep when we got home. I ended up getting a few more winks when I got home, but I'm still tired from the whole ordeal.

I'm not sure if this will really help with anything, but maybe they can give me some kind of sleep schedule or something, to get my system back in check.
Tomorrow it's back to school. It's so nice to have a day off midweek. I feel very naughty, but I definitely couldn't have made it to school today.

2 comments:

Jona said...

Naughtiness is necessary sometimes. :) I really hope this sleep study leaves you with some answers, Kate!

Kate said...

me too... enough already.