Thursday, June 18, 2009

The beginning of the end.

Well, we're coming to a close over here at the D home. And just as the year started.... it has ended. I saw one class today for 20 mins. I just can't wait to be done this year. It could be the last one here. I applied for a transfer, and I have an interview with that principal on Monday. Elementary school will definitely be a change, and I'm not sure it's totally what I want, but I figure it can't hurt to wait out in a more cohesive place.

The D-home is definitely going through some changes. They have a new assistant superintendent, and he's definitely more authoritarian. I hear (rumors) that he has a military background and is going to treat this place more like boot camp. I'm in favor of some consistency and some regimented behaviors, but it would be hard for me to feel comfortable in a place where there are going to be "drill sergeants" yelling and giving orders (I picture some drill sergeant type character saying drop and give me 20 as I'm teaching about perspective or something).

Who knows what will happen? I wish that the position at the high school hadn't been dissolved. There's a slight chance that this will be just some sort of a stepping stone.

Part of me thinks that I would just make a better mentor to a kid who was from the D-home. I could really connect to them by volunteering at the center. I feel like I'd be filling a void.

Summer vacation is on it's way, and that is a thing of joy. I can't wait to be eating gelato while meandering around the Venetian streets. I'm so looking forward to a change of scenery, culture, and food. I can't wait! It's going to be great.

So- with only a few school days left, keep your fingers (and toes) crossed for me on that interview, and that we all make it through the final days of the school year unscathed.

No comments: