Monday, June 01, 2009

Thinking

So, there is a chance to leave my current position, but I'm not too sure what I should do. I've been working at the detention home for the last 3 years, and while there have been some good moments, there have been a lot of things that I've had to overcome to make my classroom work for me. (and sometimes it still doesn't)

On the plus side -- which is the most important -- the students. I love them, they love my class. On the minus side, it's so transient. Another minus, there is a constant struggle between the staff of the D-home and school staff to manage the classroom. I appreciate that they are there for my safety, but I definitely would run my classroom differently without them. It sometimes causes a lot of problems because the d-home staff can be extremely passive aggressive, and that doesn't work for anyone. On the plus side, I love the teaching staff. We get along, it makes it more supportive, however I feel a bit isolated because we don't really work together where curriculum is concerned (good and bad).

Minus - it's been a roller coaster of a ride, and I feel burned out. Coming in and out of a jail everyday is a little bit like being an inmate. I do get to leave, but I hate feeling on edge. Because it's been said to us that safety comes first, We are always reminded about the dangers of this and that-- especially with art (although I still use sharp objects in the classroom).

So- the age group is great. I love teaching HS, but I can't create a program. It's hard to get their work shown, and it's hard to do lengthy projects.

It's draining. I know nothing will change with the Juvenile Justice System, and kids will always be rotating through this place.

So--- what do I do? Well, there's another art position open in my district. It's for elementary school. I don't know how I feel about that, except that I've taught elementary before. It's usually not my favorite age group (kindergarten is hard for me), but they are fun. The second thing is it's a small school. I think I really like the idea of teaching at a smaller school. Only, I would still only see my students once a week....which stinks.

The school is extremely close to home... I could take my students outside, on field trips, I could have more at my disposal... It sounds good so far-- except I worry that it may look like a step back for me professionally. Sometimes when people see a resume like mine, they think twice. I haven't stayed in one age group in my 10 years of teaching, but I don't really think that's a bad thing. In fact I've progressively spent more time at each school I've been at. I'm not sure if I'll ever find the perfect fit, but I honestly can't imagine doing more than 1 more year at the D-home.

So I guess right now I'm trying to weight my options... I'm leaning towards Elementary again. Ahhh, I don't know.. I really don't.

No comments: