Friday, August 03, 2012

And it's already begun

217 more work days to go for the the next summer break!  Wow, that sounds like a really long time.  It's kind of already intense at work, and yesterday was a just a teacher work day.  People already getting up in arms about the little things.  Just take a deep breath.  Really.

I hope this isn't what is to come for the rest of the year.  The stares, the eye rolls, the random banter that keeps people doing what they actually should be doing.  Oh and lets not forget about the detention staff who don't like us having school in the d-home because they hate doing transitions.  I mean really?  Hey staff, you do realize that education DOES make a difference in the lives of kids, right?

Seriously, it's like that, and that's the way it is (run DMC).

It's a place of no change what's so ever, I have to remember to be thankful for the little ones that come into my life.  Be it the girl who shows me pictures of her little baby, or a kid who loves to create.  It happens, but even in smaller increments.

As for the school staff, we're holding it down.  Except for a couple of them.  Did I mention the secretary already lost it in front of all of us yesterday?  Pounding her fist into her hand over and over again, as she said,"  I don't cause problems, I just try and fix them."  Umm... well...

So today is another day, I'm gearing up to teach yoga and art next week.  It's not "real school" (what I said to a student yesterday), it's "enrichment".  Our theme is wellness.  So I'm going to do yoga, meditation, and art.  They like it, however, we have a whole host of new students that weren't there last month, and I'll have to go slowly.  So tomorrow we'll spend some time on rules and creating a safe environment.  Some of theses kids might get silly, and I don't want that to be the cause of some problems for some individuals.  So we'll be taking it slow.  Especially since I don't know some of these kids.

It doesn't really feel like a Friday, truth be told, so I'm happy that tomorrow will really be the weekend. Yesterday I already made it to bed early, and could barely keep my eyes open to read a little bit.

Oh well, one day down!  Many many more months to to.

No comments: