Sunday, August 26, 2012

Yoga time!

First real class I get to sub for today.  Very excited, and I think I'm prepared.  Had to add some extra poses and music to my sequence.  I hope that people find it relaxing and enjoyable!  We're doing a serious of poses on the floor, given that it's gentle yoga.  Hopefully it will bring some relief to the lower back and hamstrings, as well as open up shoulders and bring some flexibility in the back.

I have to say that I'm a little nervous, but I think it will be fine.  I'm subbing for a super awesome teacher though!  I know I'm not her, but hopefully I'll bring my own nuances to the practice.

I hope I'll be picked up for more subbing in the fall and winter, I think that the more I do it, the better I"ll get, the easier it will be for me to create sequences and provide a good range of practices for all people.

I'm also preparing the art/yoga curriculum.  Hopefully we'll bring it into the final stages this week and will have it all ready to try out in a couple weeks.  We start the after school program at my school on September 11th, and run it for 8 weeks.  Then we'll take a break for the holidays and come back and do another 8 weeks session in the spring.    I'll probably teach on my own too, but probably not until the spring.  My time through December is thoroughly booked with other things.  Once I get my re- certification for my teaching license out of the way, I'll have more time-- in general...

I hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday out there!  If you want to do one thing to relax yourself before going to bed.  Take your legs up the wall.  It calms the nervous system!  Seriously:

1.  Sit with the left or right hip next to the wall
2.  Carefully lower your torso down to the floor
3.  Bring your legs  up the the wall so you are making an "L" shape with your body. You're looking up at your feet.
4.  Arms relax beside the body, breathe deeply.
5.  Stay there as long as you like.
6.  Coming down bend your knees and roll to the side.
7.  Come back to a seated position slowly.

No comments: