Friday, August 24, 2012

So glad it's Friday

It's been a week.  A busy one.  Still getting back into the swing of things, but not quite there yet.  Hopefully I can get into a groove soon.  This year just seems like it's going to take a bit longer.

I think one of the reasons I might feel this way is because of where I work.  It's a stressful place, obviously.  There are loads of personalities to deal with, tons of passive aggressive behaviors, endless interruptions, lots of sounds all the time.  And that's not even pertaining to the students.

I need an imaginary suit of armor to work there.  Some days it seems to go by a little bit easier, but most days it's a challenge not to want to let out a primal scream (imagine how the kids feel).   In the past I definitely felt like I had armor.  I was more likely to let the behaviors slide off my backs and just not take it personally.  Now, I'm having a harder time with that.

It's a shame.  I guess I'm slowly building up my work armor, but it's not quite there yet.

In other news, my students made their first pieces of art this week.  I'll post them this weekend.  That is certainly a positive, and I KNOW they feel good about what they've done.  It was challenging, and it turned out pretty good!

Next week we have a bunch of district stuff to do, so I really won't be seeing any of the kids in class until September 4th.  Strange how we start and stop, start and stop in August.  If we're trying set up consistency, why are we doing that to our kids?

Humm... just another question that we'll keep asking.

Happy Friday EVERYONE!

1 comment:

Jona said...

The very first question in our profession should always be: What matters? And the answer of course should be "the kids." And if what we are doing does not satisfy that question properly, then we shouldn't be doing it. I hear ya on the start-stop thing this year. It's been such a strange start for us, too. And I have not quite caught my breath and we've been back at school for three weeks or so. SO MUCH TO DO - it never seems to stop. Then I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that I should only do the things which will impact the kids for the positive...everything else can wait. Love you Kate!