Tuesday, September 04, 2012

"First" day done

It's been a long time coming, this first day of school.  I've been working already for over a month, but the first day, still feels like the first day.  Even though our population is transient we like to feel like we're giving them a welcoming to school.

It was a busy day.  We started the school year with a brand new schedule.   I do feel like I'm kind of running a race today.  I have all my classes in a row, and we're going to try out team-teaching.  I'm not really sure how it's going to work, considering we've never done that before in this arena.  Also we've added an advisory period, a ROAR period, and a wrap up period.  It all sounds good, but no one had planned for it.  Also- to include all this stuff we have to shorten all the classes.  Which is insane!  It definitely keeps us on our toes.  The reason it is like this because of the d-home schedule.  The staff has a different schedule that has to allow for their breaks (given their 12 hour shifts).  So there's only so much we can do.

It's hard.  Our day is actually longer right now.  Which makes me wonder about my after school program.  What's going to happen to that?  We only have a short window for that as well.   Right now, our yoga/art program is looking really non-exsistent.  45 minutes... is definitely not even close to enough.

Anyway-  we'll see what happens.  I can't control what happens, I have to be flexible, adjust and try to ask for what I need.  Hopefully a change can be made to accommodate, but if not, then I guess we'll shop our after school program somewhere else.  It just would be nice to apply it to the students we have, they need it the most.

So, it was an ok day, there is a lot to figure out before the end of the week.  But that's always the case where I work.  There's alway something.

Only 84 more days until Thanksgiving... ugh.  I can't think about that.

No comments: