Monday, May 12, 2008

Rain, rain...go away

Ugly, Monday, rain.
Wear your trendy wellies now,
Before it dries up.

That's all I can really manage for a haiku today. It is 5-7-5, right?

Short weekend. Friday made a really good dinner for J and I. It was really just glorified quesadillas (fancy cheese, sauteed vegetables, and homemade salsa). The precursor to dinner was a lovely home made cocktail I made from scratch. I had decided we needed something a bit different than the usual margarita, or Cosmo, or whatever. So I decided to make a ginger simple syrup.

Recipe: sugar, water, tons of ginger, and some lemon peel.

Et voila! It was so good. It's so easy to make. Has a little bite, a little sweetness, but strong! I think it was definitely what we needed after the long week we both had at work.

Saturday I actually didn't do much at all. Woke up late, J had to go grade papers with his teaching partner, and I putzed around doing nothing. It was wonderful. Sure I could have painted, gone to the gym, but why waste a perfectly stress free day? And keep it that way? I did end up meeting with J and his grading buddy at a nice Indian place about 1/2 hour away. We had a really nice dinner. I had Aloo ghobi (califlower, potato and pea curry). YUM! It was so tasty and rich. That evening, we just came back and watched parts of the Indiana Jones movies. "Raiders" is still the best one out of the 3, and I'm really worried that this fourth installment is going to be a bit of a clunker.

Sunday, up late, nice breakfast, bought books for the up coming beach trip (10 more days 'til Bahamas!)

Books:

What is the What
Water for Elephants
The Inheritance of Loss

I can't wait to actually sit on an island, surrounded by blue sky and white beaches, and quietly lapping water. Until then, I'll just have to soak up the rain, smile on the inside, and make it through the next week and 1/2.

Can you believe I still have 7 more weeks of work? I might die.

1 comment:

Jona said...

Hello!?! Did I tell you about Water For Elephants? Because it's a freakin' fantastic book. But, I've told so many people about it that I can't remember if I mentioned it to you. And I have yet to read What is the What but have heard great things. I have it also, sitting on my shelf, just waiting . . . In fact, I've been on the same two books for a month and a half because they're "thinker" books and I can only read bits at a time. The Tipping Point and The Secret. Glad you had a chill weekend, sounds like you needed it. Hang in there - Bahamas are just around the corner and summer break will be upon you before you know it! Love you!