Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tons of things

I finally finished another painting. This one was for J. He asked me months ago to make him a "Kate Original", and I finally did. It's about 2 feet by 3 feet and it has about 5 layers in all. I started with a collage, then a wash, 3 layers of script with some squares. Of course it took that many layers for me to kind of like it. And I kind of do. I don't know if I ever immediately like anything I do. I'm not looking for sympathy points, I just don't know. I kind of pull away from what I've done, and think it's done. Attachment to work? Sometimes. But in this case, as in many others, I know where it's going, where it's going to be, I'll see it again.



I'd post some pictures, but I'm at home and my computer sucks. Whenever my internet becomes available on my home computer I'm surprised. So sooner or later you'll see it.



In other news, J and I made our way to the 9:30 Club last night. We went to see "The Black Keys". Jarle really wanted to go see them. If you really like two-person bands, you would really like them. I thought they were good. They have drums and a guitar. And then actually the guitarist sat down and played the organ, and it sounded like a guitar. The guitarist also sang (of course). He had a good voice (soulful). The drummer was amazing. But, a band can only do so much to keep from sounding too much like all those other 2-member bands. Hummm... But talented they are. The opening was a 3-member band, with no base. If you like revival 70's rock, you'd like them. Think Jack Black, but not as good. I'm not a huge fan of 70's rock, and the song that I liked best was called "Homegrown" (and so was everyone else's --- if you know what I mean). Which isn't saying much.



But I'm glad I skipped out on Radiohead. It was basically rained out, and I don't fancy seeing that band anymore. I'd rather just listen. I don't know who will be next on our list. There are always shows, but I'd rather wait until someone I like comes by. And, I'd actually like to see them! Last night I was surrounded by tall people!! All I could see was the band sign!



Today, I managed to call in sick. It was more of a mental health day, but I've really needed a break, and a chance to catch up. I'm glad I did. In the last few weeks at school we've all had to give up our classrooms and travel from unit to unit using carts and wheeling all of our supplies from day room to day room. Which isn't such a big deal for anyone, except me. I've not even been given a cart. I have to use a luggage carrier with a xerox box. I've managed to go too fast around corners and bumps and have dumped it 4 times. Not only that, but I can't use any of my valued technology that I have in my classroom, and classes are shorter because I have to unpack and pack things up in every single class!! It's not fair to the kids or to us. So I guess this was my boycott day. I suppose. I'm doing the best I can, but it's hard. We have way too many more days of school left, and I hope that we can change back to the classroom. It's completely necessary.



So, for all of you who continue to follow "LOST" the 4th season is almost over. I'm excited to see where we're going with all of this. All I can say is that this season has been good. I guess tomorrow is the start of the finale for the season.



In just over a week I'll be on the beach, and I couldn't be more excited about that. I'm already making lists of what to bring. Although, all that really matters are some bathing suits! Right? 2 more days of school in this week. 4 days next week, and 4 days the following week. I may actually make it through the school year.

No comments: