Thursday, September 04, 2008

I love rhetoric!

Is it me or does Tina Fey make a great Sarah Palin for SNL?




No, I'm not a republican by any stretch, but I did want to see what she would say at the RNC last night. So I made myself stay up and listen to her nutzo acceptance speech. Indroducing her family... This is "Trac", "Trig", "Willow", "Bristol", and "Piper"... WTF, I thought she was a conservative nut job, not just a nut job.

Here is why "original" names can go too far:


I don't mind Willow, or even Piper. That's fine. But I feel bad for the others. I will admit that if I ever have kids, I have a few "original" names picked out. But nothing that has to do with a sport, witches, or math ( i know it's norse..but Trig. Why not calculus, or algebra, or Cosine). The poor boys. She must hate them.

ANYWAY-- I watched. I think she gave a good speech, but I don't agree with anything she said. Did she really say to drill for more oil in Alaska is God's will? WHAT?? IS SHE NUTS? Yes. yes she is.
So I am giving all the candidates my sort-off-equal-attention. I don't think I've ever taken such a strong interest in any campaign before, I guess I feel like it's really time. I don't know if I'll go so far as to knock on people's doors or call people, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a button or a bumper sticker with Obama on it.
We need a change. We need someone else in their. I don't know what I'll do if McCain is president. I was kind of threatening to shave my head, but I don't think I could do that. I don't really have a pretty skull. There's scars and it's bumpy. And it will also be winter and my head would be cold. And my hair doesn't grow fast.... I know so many excuses. I'll just have to hope for the best. I guess my other choice would be to move out of the country.... again. I'd bring "J" with me. We could rent out our house.... umm......Hopefully I won't need a plan "B".
So anyway, enough of all the words of what will happen, promising this, promising that. I want an end to bureaucracy. Enough stalling. We need real solutions. We need the war to end. Everyone on the republican side seems to think there is a win/loss issue with this war. And that terrorism will win. And that the "Axis of Evil" will cause destruction of all Western culture (would that actually be so bad?).
I'm ready for someone to do something about NCLB. Every child has been left behind during this time. By 2012 (or whatever) all children are supposed to be 100% successful at everything? What? So if you started school in 2000, and graduated in 2012-- apparently all of you should get into college (especially the Ivy Leagues) with no problem because you will have reached the AYP goals!! Right??? And if your school has reached AYP every year--- and wasn't shut down, or unaccredited...well then all of your students should have mastered the entire state curriculum with no problem. Right?
Roooight. As if.
So I recommend this read. Yes, he's a bit psycho too, but it is fun to read, and full of commonsense ideas. Like making high fructose corn syrup illegal, and what else, oh I know-- changing the "pledge of allegiance" to pledge to each other as citizens of the same country (not to a flag), And hey, I like that we should leave out "God". It was originally left out because officials like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin didn't necessarily believe in God, but being spiritual, and studied why people believe in a "higher power" (whatever you want to call it).
He's the good kind of nuts.
Ok, enough of my opinions for today. But I felt I need to share.

No comments: