Sunday, February 07, 2010

Snowpocalypse 2010!

We have just about survived. It basically all started on Friday at 10 a.m. and continued on and on until about 6 p.m. last night. We have a boat load of snow out there. Just about 2 feet! Again! I didn't take any pictures yet, but the sun is shining brightly and sure to melt a little bit of it away. Although, the temperatures are brutal right now-- only about 20 degrees outside!

Yesterday we lost power at about 11 a.m., just right before I was about to take a shower, but luckily, just after we finished our second cappuccino (phew.) Power was out all day. We had no internet, no tv.. just us, books, and lots of art making (pictures to come soon).

It was a welcome day of relaxing, playing games, reading, and resting. Jarle retreated to the car for a short time to listen to a basketball game on the radio, I made stuff. I guess if we had a smart phone or something we would have still been in contact with some part of the world, but oh well! We just have the cheap cell phones.

We took Lhotse for a walk around the neighborhood, sans leash! She loved running free. Every so often she would turn around and check to make sure we were still there. We'll probably do it again, although we'll have to make sure she's leashed this time. Too many people are trying to leave the neighborhood today (idiots).

So, we did have a working stove, and I made a huge batch of black bean soup! We had extra bottles of wine lying around, and it was quite the night filled with Jenga, cards, and Scrabble ( I lost big time on scrabble-- usually it's close, but I lost out on all those triple word scores, darn it).

It managed to get pretty cold, pretty quickly and we bundled up in our blankets and down comforters and read until we couldn't hold our eyelids open anymore. And wouldn't you know it- at about 11:30 p.m. the power came back on, the heat clicked on again, and we fell asleep with smiles on our face.

Now the hard part begins, cold temperatures, lots of snow to move and shovel. School is already canceled for tomorrow, and I think Tuesday will be canceled as well. Tuesday also has a forecast of snow, through Wednesday. I think we're expected to get another 6 inches of snow, and no real warm up in sight. When will we ever make it back to school again? Will we lose our spring break? Will we go extra days at the end of the year? I have no idea. I'm sure the school board is pondering our fate at this very moment.

I do know one thing, I've actually really enjoyed being stuck inside with my sweet husband and little dog. Later today we'll venture out and tackle all what's outside, but for now I'll still pretend we're completely snowed in.

No comments: