Thursday, October 30, 2008

Almost there

It's the end of my Thursday. Just need to prep for tomorrow and I can go home.

It's been one of those weeks where nothing goes according to plan. My one saving grace is my Unit 2. As about as consistent as a class can get. They come on time, work hard, I get to interact with them individually, we talk about their work. It's great. I couldn't ask for a better end to any teaching day. Unit 2 is like a group of 16 year olds. Most of them have been here for a while, and it's not as transient as most other units. Maybe that's why? They're used to each other, they treat each other more like brothers. It's a comforting feeling I think. They're much more at ease.

Even with their artwork they're taking more risks than any other class. I never hear "I can't". So I have to say, the end of my days are a breeze. I'm glad I get to end with them and it makes me appreciate where I teach. Because, with them, at least I know they're doing more than just finishing an assignment, they're putting their own stamp on it, and creating work that is meaningful to them.....

I really need to post some pictures soon.... As soon as I find my card reader.

Anyway, tonight is pumpkin carving at home. And yes, I have seen yeswecarve.com. I LOVE IT! At least one or 2 of my pumpkins will be dedicated to the election. Most of them are really easy to do. I think the hardest part of pumpkin carving is the digging out of all the "guts".

Next week will be interesting! I'm going to really wish I had Wednesday off, because we'll be following the coverage at a bar... Iota, I think? Jolie Holland is playing (I love her) and of course there will be election coverage....and many beverages...

But, I shouldn't complain. All I have to do is make it through, and then it's of to Colorado for an extra long weekend!! I'm so excited. I can't wait to be out there, I hope we have a little bit of time to go on a hike, and make it to the Boradmor. We'll also be in Denver, I'll make a repeat visit to the Denver Art Musem (it's AMESOME) And this time I'm getting the DAM t-shirt (yes, pun intended).

Ok, so maybe this week wasn't so bad. Certainly there is always light at the end of tunnel.

Barack the vote everybody!!!

No comments: