Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ok, it really does exist..and interpretations


My students are doing a project with text. We've looked at a lot of art from all over-- especially at graphic design, and of course people like Jasper Johns, Jenny Holzer, and Islamic art. So they get the idea that they're turning their poetry, word, quote into a piece of art that carries across the theme of their words.
So this kid comes to me and says I want to do something about where I'm from. I'm like ok. He's from Florida-- so I figure his theme will be kind of sunny and fun...because he's like that, and he really misses home.

Yesterday he was working really hard on the lettering. He's doing all kinds of crazy graffiti, and it looks GOOD. But I look at it, and I say to him... "Plant City? You're from Plant City...ummm, I don't think so." He's like, " No Ms. I really am, it's an actual place, I'm not trying to be like that." I say,"Really, there's a Plant City? In Florida?" He goes, "Yea, Miss. And they have a strawberry festival and everything, I can't believe you haven't heard of it, it's true." So I say," Ok, I believe you, I just want to make sure you're not going to get into any trouble. Can you show me."

So here you go.... it may sound drug related...but it does exist:



I'm pretty sure he has a lot of friends in here because they all know he's from Plant City.... but anyway.
I can't wait to hang it up and get all the grief. People jump to all sorts of ideas. I'm thinking about just hanging up a map that shows that this is an actual place.
About a month ago they took down about 4 pieces of art that they said was "gang related" (isn't everything?) without telling me. And when I went upstairs and asked them to show me just what actually was gang related, they didn't show me... They were just trying to censor the kids, mainly because they were putting out some kind of truth that they actually know about.
Makes my face turn a tomato color because I realize that it really is all about censorship.
Today a different student and I were saying that everything seems to get that gang-related-label. He actually was one of the kids who got censored --and FYI he's not even in a gang-- so it really wasn't gang-related, but more of a coincidence that someone else thought his artwork was. WHATEVER. He and I agreed that it's blown way out of proportion, and it's truly a shame when people go out of their way to find a reason to make objects, pictures, and symbols (most that are cultural) "gang related".
ARGH.
I realize that where I work I do need to know and be aware of what kids are doing. But one of the benefits of where I work, is that I actually get to see them everyday. I know who they are, they know what they can do and shouldn't do. Yes, there are kids that do put typical gang stuff in their drawings, and I do warn them that I have to turn that in. And I'm on top of that. I realize that kids are savvy and some things get put straight past me, but most often than not a kid is really trying to make a genuine piece. Free of "gang" paraphernalia. (whatever that is)
Not to mention the ugliest mural that I keep meaning to take a picture of... This summer students of ACPS were asked to complete a mural with an artist (who definitely got paid a lot). It is the ugliest mural ever, and it's already starting to fade.... But the real kicker is that there are blatant gang symbols in there. How did that pass? Even I recognized it.... I'll have to see if I can manage to take a picture and post it. You will probably see what I mean. I won't even tell you what it is... I'll let you figure it out.
Day by day I become more and more savvy. I need to start remembering the things I learn from my students. Maybe I should write them down and turn them into a book. "J" says I should be doing that already.... I just find every excuse not to. LAZY... I know. That's all it is.
Ok, rambling stops.

1 comment:

Jona said...

You really should make a book, Kate. You'd be great at it. I bet these kids are teaching you so much. And you are teaching them, too. That's actually a really inspiring story about that kid in your class from Plant City. Who knew? And I think it's great that these kids are really producing quality work that they are proud of and that's genuinely THEIRS. So many kids are given that freedom and your class is one where they can truly express themselves. Good on you, Kofta!