Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Watch it

I have cable, and I caught "Juvies" tonight. It's interesting to watch. I don't know what goes on in court though, so that part is interesting to watch. I can't say that the system works. A lot of kids want to never come back to the facility, but you can never know if they will or not, a lot of it has to do with what they're going back to. Some kids are homeless, they have no families. A few come from a decent home have a slipped up. It really just depends. It really ranges.

I just try to treat them like I would any student. Maybe that's not the best approach, but I feel that it's my style of teaching. I know they're detainees. I know they've broken the law. I don't know how they broke the law and I don't ask. Maybe all they really need is a chance to make a good decision. Even if it means a good decision in my art class.

No comments: