Friday, February 16, 2007

What do you want to get back?

It seems as if the people I work with don't understand the concept of Karma. I don't know. There's lots of names for it, just choose the one you want to use...

Anyway, I would have to say that today was one of the worst days I've had at work (with adults not kids). There was grief about all kinds of things. Things that don't even matter, petty things, things that have NOTHING to do with the kids we're teaching and what they might need from us.

On top of that I was brought in for questioning.... about someone else's problem. I guess I was being used as a witness... maybe? I don't know. I didn't have a problem with that because I don't lie. I'll say whatever I need to say from my point of view.... The problem with this whole questioning thing were the questions that I was being asked. The questions didn't allow me to answer them with complete honesty or the chance to elaborate.

I just have to keep the kids in mind, because some of them are great people. I was talking to this kid today-- family is from Morocco, he's been a few times himself. I told him that I lived in Egypt. He was amazed that I had gone there by myself and that I actually new a few words in Arabic. We had this whole connection going on. It was great. He talked about learning Arabic again. He leaves today. I told him I was glad, and that I never wanted to see him again.. I always say that, it's a good thing. I told him he should really consider trying to learn Arabic again and take some classes, it would make him an extremely marketable person in this day. He could work in his home country if he wanted, do business and travel. He seemed really happy that I was interested in him genuinely. It was a great exchange and was the best part of my entire day.

That's what matters. So now that I'm decompressing from my Friday that seemed so hellish, it wasn't. The extra negative stuff was just unnecessary and I just need to keep it that way. I'm there to teach those kids what I know. If we connect in some way, that's great. It's not going to happen with every kid. I even had a student say he wanted to be an Art teacher this week. I was shocked! I was so happy! Can you imagine a 16-year old boy saying he wants to be what you are? And he means it.

So to everyone out there, put out there what you want to get back.

No comments: