Sunday, May 13, 2007

Working whirlwind

Not much of a weekend this week. I worked all through it. It wasn't all bad. But I'm tired. I can't wait to go to sleep tonight. Yesterday we had a huge wine tasting event. Had you been here, you would have been able to taste about 50 different wines! I didn't, unfortunately. I ended up tasting about 18. We were short staffed, so I had to be the one to go between all the tables, serve wine poorly(.. get it, it's a pun... oh...sorry, it was a bad pun.) and talk to customers. It was the fastest 5 hours I ever had. Well, in this job, anyway. It was fun. I like when lots of people are there, and you can talk to people, get to know them, remember their faces. I met another crazy French woman who's an artist. She told me all about it, and how much wine she needed for her reception.. All that! She was a hoot. So funny. She counted everything in French, and I was trying to speak French (poorly). Then there was this retired couple. I love them. I see them every weekend. The husband is a pilot, and I think she was a teacher.. not sure. But we had a huge conversation about education and all that. I told her I was also an artist, and we talked about that. They're both retired and live a life of leisure and travel. I told her I wanted to be like her when I grew up. It was flattery, but I meant it. Who wouldn't want to retire and be with their husband and travel??? That's my dream!

Anyway, after that I headed out to College Park, MD. My best friend's brother lives out there, I got lost (I'm not sure how.. I just did). He's turning 21! I can't believe it. It was fun. We just had a dinner with him (which he cooked...and very well), and a few other people. Although, after a few more glasses of wine we had some really philosophical conversations. We talked about justice, death, life, religion, art! I couldn't believe how we just kept going. But it was good. There was a lot to think about, and some of it I'm still thinking about it. I hadn't talked about all that in a really long time. Ahhhh. I almost feel a relieved.

So I ended up getting home at about 1 am. Went to bed, and woke up this morning and headed to work again. It was boring today, however. I did a lot of busy work, making the shelves look nice. Helped some people a bit, but mostly I was trying to keep busy, however it was the slowest 5 and 1/2 hours ever at the store. Tomorrow will probably be similar. Unfortunately.

I did find somethings to tell you about in the wine world.

1. Gatao - A Portuguese wine, pretty cheap. Easy to drink, kind of spritzy! Nice summer libation.
2. Maipe - A Malbec-- from Argentina-- nice wine, red. Mellow and inky red... I bought a bottle to try this week.
3. Tried a really cool Shiraz. It was a sparkling Shiraz. You open it like a champagne, but that's not what it is at all. It really is a Shiraz that has bubbles, so when you pour it out it's like pouring out a bubbly wine. And it hits your mouth and it bubbles, but gives way to this smooth texture. It's strange, and I kind of like it. I didn't buy the one we had out yesterday because one of the ladies I work with says a different one is better. Who knew? We definitely sold a lot of that yesterday just based on curiosity! GOES WELL WITH CHOCOLATE! Yum!

So tomorrow's another day, back to school, counting down the days. Technically the quarter ends on May 29th, however we have an extended year. Not sure how it's all going to go yet. I'm just hoping for the best. I also haven't heard about the transfer..... don't know where I'll be teaching next year.

Peace out!

No comments: