Friday, July 27, 2012

Is it Art?

Fair warning this link contains images of an artist who uses animals in her artwork.  It was disturbing to me, but it makes for a good discussion about the moral value art carries, and is it art?  Is it ethical?  You decide.  I have my superficial opinions about this type of art, not practicing it myself.  I don't know a lot about this artist, I've looked on her website and read this article.  It brings up a lot of interesting questions.

I am a vegetarian, who leans towards veganism.  However, I am not an activist.  I try to follow what I believe it good for me, and try to just do my best to make changes to my own life.  I don't persecute people for wearing leather, sitting on leather, or eating meat.  I have my opinions, I do own shoes made from animals skins, and I eat cheese.

So look at this with whatever perspective you like.  Activist?  Artist?  Innocent bystander?  What do you think???

Here is the New York Times article.

It's all subjective... but I do believe that it is the responsibility of artists ( as with any other profession) to act and create with regard to the value of life.

1 comment:

Jona said...

Hmmm. I am at a loss for words on this one. Except that I can't imagine that eating rat would classify me as a more interesting person for doing so. And I can't imagine how this is seen as art per se. My face is sort of contorted as I write this, but I would feel this way if it were any animal she was doing this with these days.