Friday, July 27, 2012

Practicing Yoga Teacher!!!

Well, it's official, I will be working at the Radiance Yoga studio as a sub for Gentle and Yin yoga classes.  I'm really excited to begin this phase.  It's a little nerve-wracking because I know that there is a lot I still need to study up on and get comfortable with before I can teach many things.

Everything seems to have gone really well yesterday.  There were about 10 people there and everyone had a smile on their face, and looked like they were relaxed as they were packing up and moving around.  The owner of the studio even said to me, "I'd definitely take that class again!"  What a compliment.

So, I know there are things to work on, sometimes I get stuck with my words.  Even though I'm a teacher, I'm not used to speaking and directing and demonstrating for a full hour.  I usually do my demo and instruction in the beginning of class, and then go around for the rest of the class giving personal attention.

It's hard.  I think I said the word "nice" a lot.  And I forgot to tell the students I wasn't mirroring them.  And I also could have phrased a few things differently.  Choosing words carefully is key, because I don't want to make anyone feel that they can't do something, or make them feel like the should be doing something.

On a positive note, I think I paced the class well, made some really good sequences, and reminded the students throughout the class that this was their practice.  I know it will get easier as it goes a long.  I have a long way too go....  But I'm really excited, a year ago I didn't think I would be doing this!  I even said, "  I won't ever teach in a studio"...probably out of fear and inexperience.

1 comment:

Jona said...

Yay, yay, yay! Congratulations, Kate! That's awesome news. I"m so glad you are doing this in stages that are gratifying and finally coming into focus. I am proud of you.