Monday, October 09, 2006

Ahh...Monday

This weekend was a bit of a strange one. I can't quite explain where the time went, I just know it went. I dunno.

Friday I went to dinner with my friend Ruth and her husband, who has come back from 2 exhausting tours in Iraq. I had never met him before, but it was nice to finally sit down all together and talk. And...we talked, and talked, and talked. It was interesting because I had never spoken to anyone first hand about the Iraq war, the politics of it etc... Although it was Friday night, and it would have been nice to have a light night... it was serious. He's out now. And glad to be out.

Saturday I managed to make it to the NEW and IMPROVED American Art Museum with my friend, Jeremy, which is connected to the National Portrait Gallery! Simply amazing, beautiful. It just blew me away and I had no idea how big it was. I saw so much stuff, way too fast. I need to go back and spend some more time just seeing what's there. It got a bit crowded in some of the areas, but mostly it felt free enough to walk around. Upstairs they have like a catalogued area where all these paintings and sculptures are just in these cases, labeled. It's strange. It's like going into someone's closet. But amazing. I realize that I just need to go downtown more often and look around, walk around. It's so close. Who says I can't be a tourist in my own town Well, it may not be my own town... but it's close enough.

The rest of Saturday was spent relaxing. Mostly trying to remain inspired by all that I saw, while texting my sister who was in Nashville (why she drove down to Nashville I don't know, but apparently she had a good time, or was in the process of having a good time).

Sunday I took my time, got up and drove to my parents. I really like that drive. It's so relaxing and pretty. The colors are starting to change more, and I have a feeling it will be at it's peak next week. It was a beautiful day yesterday. I ended up watching the world baking championships for some reason. The Japanese won. Which really doesn't seem like a society that eats bread, but then again, what do I know. I've never been there. I do know that when Japanese admire something, or someone they go for it. It's a respect thing. So they must love bread. The French managed to burn their bread! Their French! Known for their bread, everyone tries to make a baguette like the French.. but they still managed to come in 4th in the world. It's fixed... I tell you. US came in a lame second.

We've been having rain lately, but now it's back to being warm. Today it's supposed to be up in the 70's. WOW!

Someone seriously needs to save me from my work place. I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to be uber religious. We're at school folks. I can't stand it. Hello? Separation of church and state. I'm all for people finding their own spiritual flavor, but it's not appropriate in the work place. What if I bring in my Buddha and Dalai Lama picture, or I start saying Namaste to everyone. Hey, I already throw around Insh'allah, and I'm not even Muslim Whatever people's religion is, I don't really care. But it's just hard to be around it.

I am supposed to find out about the apartment today. I hope it's ago. If I get it, I won't be able to move until the first week or so of December, but it's around the corner. Next weekend I'll be apartment sitting for a friend, and then First weekend in November I head out to Missouri. Then Thanksgiving a few weeks later... And then.. maybe I can move.

Until then, I'm sitting in someone else's classroom, doing my work because I can't seem to get on the internet or server anywhere else.... Don't ask me why, I just work here. (BTW..there is Christian radio on..........at lunch I'm going to get my Ipod out of the car)

No comments: