Sunday, October 01, 2006

At least I didn't have 31 fiascoes...

Yes, each birthday is met with different expectations, and different ideas of what it will be like and how to celebrate, and how it should end. This year is no exception. Aside from the fact that it is a lot different from last year (for one I'm not in Egypt), this year I wanted to do something different, something I had not done before. Well, I did accomplish that. I wanted (wanted....) to go to the wine festival in Leesburg, VA. A nice quaint town on the outskirts of the heavy traffic of the metro area of DC. Katie and I bought out tickets ahead of time on line, and were very excited to go. We met at her house atround 11:00 am, grabbed some coffee and made our way out. Sure we hit a couple of traffic spots, who doesn't? But we were excited to get on our way to drink some wine. We were 5 miles from the venue when we hit the big traffic. 4 lanes were merging together,creating the slowest traffic I had seen sine pre-Iftar traffic exiting the Khan El Khalili! Seriously! We did not move. By the time we reached that area it was already 1 pm. But we thought, surely there must be an accident, or something. No, it was everyone with in the tri-state area heading for this festival. And I exaggerate. These weren't people from teh tristate area, they were all coming from the tri county area! Anyway, it took us another hour to go one mile. One little tiny mile.. I can run a mile in about 7-8 minutes... Ridiculous.. So we go on, we think we can get through, and get to it in a timely fashion. A half hour passes, hardly any movement. People are getting out of their cars to go to a restaurant to use the bathroom, and then walking about a half block to catch up to their car. At that point we're coming up with a plan B. Plan B is to turn around and go out to eat. We give it about 15 more minutes, and realize in about another 1/2 hour people will start exiting the venue and we'll be stuck in the traffic going the other way. So we jump on that. Turn through the median and go back to Manassas park. We hang out, pretend that the Wine Festival was oh so fabulous and a rip roaring good time, and then head out to eat.
Yes, disappointed, I don't think I've sat in a car fo

No comments: