Monday, October 16, 2006

The Big Guns

Jenny Lewis is absolutely amazing. I can't even express how glad I am that I got to go to her show. I would see her again and again. She did all her songs off the album and she even performed a few new ones she has up her sleeve. She did some a capella with the Watson Twins and did a couple just on her guitar. She played almost every song with one instrument or another. She was excellent.

I was right up front for the whole show. Front and center. There were two opener bands for for her. "The Blow" (Portland, Oregon based...cory....). It was basically electronic beats and sounds to the performer's voice. She was really funny actually.....on purpose. And since most of the people standing around me were high schoolers, I don't think they really got her. But I thought she was interesting.

The next band right before Jenny was "Vietnam"... which you might guess would have a certain 60's - 70's rock thing going on. .Which they did. It was pretty much straight rock... They were ok. I thought that they were pretty much up there for the hell of it, I couldn't understand their words, but the guitars were good... so..

Then there was Jenny and the twins and the BAND. They were all amazing. The dummer was fantastic, the guitarist was some really young guy (who looked familiar... I don't know where from) from right here in Alexandria. He sang a few hooks, and played guitar. There was a guy at the little piano and he played slide guitar, and the bassist... and of course the twins. They came out all dressed in black and did a few songs. Then the ladies left the stage and came back in a new outfit and rocked out in these "Tina Turner" dresses. It was great. She is so good, her voice is so good. I hadn't expected her to be that good. The sound really suit her, I love the old gospel kind of thing she's got going on... It's really great.

SO GO SEE HER IF YOU CAN! The whole band looks like they really have fun up there. The last song was ," Handle with care" (made famous by the Traveling Willburys), and a an a capella song that she just wrote. I love live shows, you never really know what to expect.

No comments: